Monday, May 13, 2013

Nature, Baby Chickens, & The Wanderers


Darla
We raise chickens at my mother's house.  Not only do we raise 'em, we hatch 'em, too.  The first two photographs are from the first batch we hatched this year.  We also hatched pheasants, but they are more anxious and it's hard to get them sitting still.  

My mom's second batch of chickens began hatching the night before Mother's Day & when my mom woke up, she was a new mother to some chicks! What a pleasant surprise! The pheasants take a bit longer to hatch, but once they do, I'll get some photos of them, too.  

Blondie #1
My favorite part of hatching chicks is naming them.  Though most of the chickens from the first batch have been given away, I had named them creatively.  It's hard to tell male and female when they are so young, but it doesn't really matter.  One I named Cruella, and another was Audrey Henburn.  A third was Darla. A fourth, Nugget.  And a fifth was named Echo.  Both the blonde ones, well their names were Blondie. Couldn't much tell 'em apart.  Well anyways, you get the point...I love to name chickens. So excited about the new bunch!

Also, don't forget about the giveaway!  Winner's choice from all of Run Free Photography's work that's displayed here on the blog including all new photos added in this post.  Follow us on Twitter @RunFreePhoto
Update: You may now also enter simply by commenting on any post on the blog! 

Old Depot Swamp #1

Old Pownal Shed

Pownal Barn & Roadway 

I call this "The River & The Road" because when Irene came through a couple years ago, she took out one of my favorite scenic drives.  Parts of the road are still intact, but you must hike to get to where this photo was taken.  Still as beautiful as ever...if not more so. 

I couldn't help myself when I saw this guy sitting down on the grass.  He looked so intensely intriguing and something drew me to him.  I actually saw the three wanderers on my way out and turned around because I HAD to have this photograph.  This guy seemed a bit insecure, as he seemed to turn away slightly whenever I'd take a photo.  But I asked him for this frontal face shot.  This photo is exactly what I went back there for and I'm glad I did.  

I call this "Wanderers"

As I looked through my lens, I said to her, "You're beautiful."
"Thank you, Darling," she replied.
This photo is the result.

Just a simple green succulent     

No comments:

Post a Comment